Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chicago Botanic Garden : Giant Pyramid Topiaries







Giant Pyramid Topiaries ..
Location: Chicago Botanic Garden [Heritage Garden] ...
The topiaries are made of yellow and red Joseph's Coat, also known as Parrot Leaf or Calico Plant ..
Scientific Name: Alternanthera ficoidea ..

Offlate, my posts here have dropped, despite the fact that I intend to cover soooo much more ... Well, since the spring season set in and the flowers started to bloom, all my spare time are spent at the Chicago Botanic Garden! So I thought about posting some photos from the garden ...
# You may check out the flower photos at "Urbs in Horto" ... click here ..





I love this place and would recommend it to anyone who even slightly likes flowers .. whats more, the entrance is free! ... And it's huge spread over an area of 385 acres .. has 26 gardens like English Walled Garden, Japanese Garden, Lakeside Garden, Sensory Garden, Native Plant Garden and so on ... There are lakes and islands ... and also some pieces of sculptures ...



Carolus Linnaeus
Sculptor: Robert Berks, American (b. 1922)
Details: Bronze, 1982
Location: Heritage Garden
A gift from Mrs. Arthur C. Nielsen, Sr.

This figure is of Swedish physician Linnaeus [1701-1778] who established "binomial nomenclature", the international system of naming plants and animals that is still in use today [Genus and species] ...
He is shown reaching eagerly toward the plants in his path with a collector’s enthusiasm. The bird in the sculpture — a golden plover, which can fly for thousands of miles, refers to the many students of Linnaeus who traveled the globe collecting plants for him to name.



Here's a shout out for Venus [extreme left] ... who I met in the garden .. with her sisters and mother ... celebrating her 60th birthday! Happy Birthday Venus!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Fantastic framing!
I have to go there.

Your shout out for the birthday girl made me smile. Hope she sees it.

Claudette said...

I love your work. Your photographs are beautiful, informative and inspirational. I'm sure you make any Chicagoan proud to see the city so beautifully represented.

Jyoti said...

Thanks Anon ...

Hi Claudette,
I truly appreciate your comment. I'm glad you like the photographs ...