Sunday, October 17, 2010

Art Loop Open: Block 37



Friday, Oct. 15th, 2010..
My day was full of activities, and by evening, I was exhausted, but free. I had two alternatives. One to sit at home, relax with a hot cup of tea and watch TV.. OR.. Walk through the streets downtown to see Art Loop Open. Well, whoever is reading this, knows what I chose, And am I glad for that!!!

However, of the ten venues, I could see only two.. Hard Rock Hotel and Block 37. It's all about Location, Location, Location.. is so true... Personally I felt that Block 37 was a better venue for an art crawl than Hard Rock Hotel. I have yet to visit other locations, and maybe tomorrow I can make a few visits...
Meanwhile here are few images from Block 37.
This year has really been Meet the Artists year for me..





The Formation of A Rainbow [Painting]..
By Andrew Holmquist
Art Loop Open: Block 37..





End of the Day [Painting]
By Eileen Jorgensen..
Art Loop Open: Block 37..

Artist Statement:
"End of the Day” depicts an early evening, when the boaters will soon lose the certainty of daylight at sea and be enveloped in the darkness. The mysterious depths of the water and vast unending sky create interesting abstract patterns that contrast with the seemingly solid nature of the land.





Hole..
By Jenny Montgomery..
Art Loop Open: Block 37..

Artist Statement:
This photograph was taken in Detroit's Packard Auto Plant. Closed since 1956, the 1.5 million square feet of the plant has stood abandoned for over 50 years.











Paperika..
By Richard Shipps..
Art Loop Open: Block 37..

Artist Statement:
My work looks at shadow as light, light as shadow, revealing imagery in both positive and negative space in a framework of changing orientations. I find no straight lines in organic nature. Paperika plays with natural shapes and patterns. Never species-specific, but always organic, the forms and counter-forms all mimic the natural world we often ignore. Positioned in a sterile white room, Paperika interrupts the architectural lines that try to confine it and encourages the viewer to explore negative and positive form, shadow and light..





I Would Like My Life Back, Says The Planet..
By Mary Mihelic..
Art Loop Open: Block 37..

Artist Statement:
My text artwork is a reaction BP’s Tony Hawyard’s statement, “I would like my life back.” Only my installation puts his words in the mouth of the planet’s by reading, “I would like my life back,” says the planet. The letters are made from flowers, weeds, ivy… and appear to be growing from the cracks in the floor. The artwork asks us all to examine how we are all living at the expense of the planet.
For more, click here..


Buffalo Chart..
By Bernard Williams..
Art Loop Open: Block 37..

Artist Statement:
The Buffalo Chart is an on-going collection of signs, symbols and word elements functioning as a history of American culture. The work is organized in a chronological format, with early history represented in the upper parts, and more recent history and culture in the lower portions of the installation..
For more, click here..




Oil Platform..
By Angela Lopez..
Art Loop Open: Block 37..



Here's Victoria Fuller..For more of her work, Everything is Connected, click here..


Last Call..
By Ted Glasoe..
Art Loop Open: Block 37
A viewer apparently text-voting..


Ecosystem 1
By Margot McMohan


Forgetting..
By Catherine Jacobi..
A constructed of 1517 reclaimed bicycle inner tubes..



Here's Catherine, distributing flyers for Art Loop Open, on S. Michigan Avenue, near Hard Rock Hotel.. Not an easy job, but she got her smile intact..

No comments: